Best Beginner Digital SLR & Mirrorless Cameras 2017
Some beginner photographers can be overwhelmed by the complexity and jargon of digital SLR cameras & mirrorless compact system cameras - especially if they have only ever used point and shoot digital compacts. Fortunately, many of the beginner digital SLR cameras are user friendly and have auto options to allow any beginner photographer to take a good photograph without needing to know about aperture and shutter speeds.
When deciding on which digital SLR camera to buy, the beginner in digital slr photography needs to take into account various factors. If the digital SLR will be used for general photography, any of the DSLRs listed below will provide excellent service. For specialist areas such as sport, nature, fashion, travel, advertising and other photography areas, features must be prioritized before selecting an appropriate DSLR.
For instance, a digital SLR camera which will primarily be used sports photography must be super fast to capture action at 3 fps or higher and have long zoom or fast telephoto lenses available in the camera`s lens range. For nature photography, a light digital SLR camera which is sealed against the elements and has a variety of high quality macro, wide angle and telephoto lenses available will be more useful than a digital slr camera which is not sealed against dust and moisture and also has limited lenses available for its lens mount.
The good news is that nearly all digital slr cameras on the market today are capable of providing high quality professional results once the user has mastered photographic basics. If a beginner is serious about photography and wants to develop photographic skills to intermediate or advanced level, a camera system from long established camera makers such as Nikon and Canon may be more suitable since these companies have every type of lens or accessory to cover all photography projects and assignments.
Key features to look out for when buying a digital slr camera include size and weight, number of megapixels, built in CCD-shift image stabilization, sensor dust removal system, large range of high quality lenses and accessories, fast operation, large bright viewfinder, weatherproof seals and overall general handling. Megapixels are not as important as other factors although a 20 megapixel DSLR will allow large image sizes and more room for cropping a picture than a 10 megapixel camera. Some digital SLR cameras also offer live view which allows the photographer to use the LCD to view the scene just as in a digital compact.
All the best digital slr cameras & mirrorless compact system cameras for 2017 listed below are recommended for beginners in digital slr photography. Once a camera or system has been chosen, study the camera`s manual in detail to learn about all its` features and then practice, experiment and learn as much about photography as possible to become a better photographer.
For previous Best Buys, see 'Best Digital SLR Camera Archives for Beginners'
Best digital SLR cameras & Mirrorless Compact System Cameras for beginners 2017
Nikon D3400 Digital SLR Camera
- Released September 2016. Selling for $596 with 18-55mm lens.
- 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor with no optical low pass filter.
- Nikon F mount. Expeed 4 processor. Jpeg & NEF RAW.
- Fixed 3 inch LCD with 921k dots. Live view. Face detection.
- Optical pentamirror viewfinder with 95% coverage.
- Snapbridge transfers images via bluetooth to smart devices.
- ISO 100 to 25600. Shutter speeds 30 sec to 1/4000 sec.
- Shoots at 5 fps. Full manual controls. Variety of scene modes.
- Built in flash. Hotshoe. Flash X sync speed at 1/200 sec.
- HD video in MPEG-4 & H.264. Mono sound. USB2. Mini HDMI.
- SD/SDHC/SDXC cards. EN-EL14a li-on battery.
- Size 124 x 98 x 76mm. Weight 395g including batteries.
Buy from Amazon
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Micro Four Thirds Camera
- Available for $699 with 14-42mm lens. Black or Silver bodies.
- 16.1 MP 4/3 Live MOS sensor. Shoots at 8.5 fps. M43 mount.
- 2.36M dot electronic viewfinder. 5 axis image stabilisation.
- HD video upto 1080p in H.264 & motion jpeg. Stereo mic.
- Silent mode. TruePic VII processor. Live view. Raw & jpeg.
- Tilting 3 inch LCD with 1,040,000 dots. 100% coverage.
- Built in flash. Hotshoe. AE & WB bracketing. USB2. Micro HDMI
- Shutter speeds 60 to 1/16000. ISO from 100 to 25600.
- Built in wireless. SD/SDHC/SDXC cards. BLS-50 Li-on battery.
- Size 120 x 83 x 47mm. Weight 390g including batteries.
Buy from Amazon
Olympus PEN E-PL8 Micro Four Thirds Camera
- Released in October 2016 for $649 inc. 14-42mm IIR lens.
- 16.1 MP Live MOS sensor. Micro four thirds mount. TruePic VII.
- Image stabilization built in. Shoots at 8 fps. RAW and Jpeg.
- HD video at 1080p with stereo sound. H.264 & motion JPEG.
- ISO 200 to 25600. Shutter speeds 60 to 1/4000 sec.
- 3" tilting LCD with 1,037,000 dots. Live view. Face detection.
- SD/SDHC/SDXC cards. USB2 & micro HDMI. Wifi built in.
- Size 115 x 67 x 38mm. Weight 357g including BLS-50 battery.
Buy from Amazon
Pentax K-S2 Digital SLR Camera.
- Available for $587 with 18-50mm WR lens.
- 20 MP AA filter less APS-C CMOS sensor. Pentax KAF2 mount.
- Weather-sealed body. Dust & water resistent. Cold proof.
- ISO 100 to 51200. Prime MII processor. Jpeg & RAW.
- Shutter speeds 30 to 1/6000 sec. Full manual controls.
- Articulated 3 inch LCD with 921,000 dots. Live view.
- Optical (pentaprism) viewfinder with 100% coverage.
- Hotshoe. Built in flash. Shoots at 5.4 fps. AE bracketing.
- HD video in MPEG-4 and H.264 with stereo sound.
- USB2. Micro HDMI. Wi-fi with NFC support. D-LI109 battery.
- Size 123 x 91 x 73mm. Weight 678g inc. battery.
Buy from Amazon
Fujifilm X-A3 Mirrorless Camera
- Available for $599 with XC 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 II lens.
- New 24.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor. Fujifilm X mount.
- 3" tilting touchscreen LCD with 920k dots. Live view.
- 5 ways to take self-portraits (selfies). Built in wireless.
- Full HD video upto 60 fps. Stereo sound. MPEG-4 & H.264.
- ISO 100 to 25600. Continuous drive upto 6 fps. 77 point AF.
- Shutter speeds 30 to 1/4000 sec. & upto 1/32000 electronic.
- Film simulation modes simulates Fuji's classic film types such as Velvia, Provia, Astia, Black and White & Sepia modes.
- RAW & jpeg. SD/SDHC/SDXC cards. USB2 & mini HDMI.
- Size 117 x 67 x 40mm. Weight 410g inc. NP-W126S battery.
Buy from Amazon